Monday, April 05, 2010

A weekend at Vizag - a trip down memory lane

The thought of Vizag always brings memories of the beaches, the cyclones, the lazy lifestyle and the wonderful people. It's been almost a decade since I was there so when I got a chance to go there one weekend recently I was fazed. Fazed, because my memories of Vizag are vivid childhood memories which one would never like erased by any sort of change. I was almost sure that the Vizag I knew is not probably the same anymore. We humans tend to hold the best things in our life close to our heart, forever cocooned from the perils of change. Since I wasn't going to visit much of the city I wasn't too perturbed though. I took the plunge.

We choose to stay at Rushikonda which though a little outside the realms of the city doesn't require too much commuting from the railway station. Besides, I had heard far too many good things about the bay views from the resort to leave out such an option. The views of the sea as expected were breathtaking. The resort itself was on a small hillock and it provided fascinating views of the Bay of Bengal for the occupants. One look at my room and the money we paid for the accommodation was all accounted for. Watching the waves seemingly pushing back the land, sipping a cup of chai was an awesome feeling. The unknown expanse of the ocean reaching the skies at the horizon seemed to put things in perspective. I needed that view of the ocean to remind me of the fact that we are nothing before a possible fury of nature.

It was a blessed weekend topped by rain towards the end of the weekend. It made us loathe the fact that we didn't have any more time before we returned. That said, I was happy I went back to Vizag. Inertia had set into my being - I went back once after I got a job, only once did I go back once to my school after I passed out, only once did I meet my teachers from school. All, things I want to set right. There is a sense of wrong I know but those hallowed memories are too sweet to be touched, too sweet to be spoilt by anything that doesn't confirm to what it was. Till today it was too much of a risk to take.

Passing by the city I saw lots of traces of change. There is perhaps a lot more in places I haven't been too but I kind of got the feeling that the inherent being of the city is intact. It's not just the infrastructure that makes up a city, the people do too. As long as the city doesn't become a metropolis swarming with people from all over the country (maybe even globally) the attitudes and the culture don't undergo any drastic change. It is here that Vizag doesn't seem to have been affected as yet. Hopefully it doesn't happen for a little longer. I understand that it's not good (or too much for) to wish on my part but let's hope the 'City of Destiny' stays in its being, as it is. Touchwood.

No comments: