Wednesday, April 07, 2010

How important is your cell phone?

Ever thought about it? Do you have the habit of not remembering any contact numbers depending wholly on your cell phone? Well, I think it's about time we changed that attitude. I was cruelly reminded about this a few months back. My cell phone was stolen. Well, in fact snatched away as I was talking by somebody on a speeding motorbike. I could be nothing but a 'blind' spectator. It was a hopeless situation because my spectacles got pulled out together with the phone and I was at that moment as good as blind. I was in luck that I was near home and could get back without the need of them spectacles. I was dazed for a moment or two before it hit me that I was robbed.

There it was, all the contacts I had, numbers of all my friends and family who seemed to always be there on speed dial, all but lost. There were some that I faintly re-collect but I had to send out an email to all I knew to send me their contact numbers. The lazy people we all are, they were just a handful who responded. I don't fault the rest because we don't have time.

This little big incident made me despise myself a little bit. Here I am, somebody pretty good with numbers, not bad at all with memorizing them too. Why do I have to depend on something which I can lose, or go broke anytime? Storing them on your cell phone memory doesn't do our memory any good! I am making an attempt to remember numbers. At least it prepares me for something similar or better still, makes me less dependant on a machine.

No comments: