Saturday, April 17, 2010

After a busy week

It's really been that way all week. Although I have been coaxing myself to write something; and although I had a few thoughts in mind I haven't been able to get to it. I couldn't really wind down to pick something to write for now but figured that I should post something for the week - random thoughts from the week; especially things that I heard and read.

This summer has been a scorcher already. I live in a penthouse and find it hard to survive without the air-conditioner. I can't watch any more television because the living room literally blows me dry. It was the same news around office. There were colleagues researching on the best deals on air-conditioners; talking to dealers who could deliver a product quickly; the very same people who felt that they didn't need one till last summer. Well, is it really getting hotter or are we getting too comfy living our lives primarily in enclosed cubicles in offices? Either way spreading usage of air-conditioners is not very ideal I know. How much warmer can we get our World? I am reminded of a scene from a Telugu movie called 'Aditya 369' where the protagonists travelling forward in time discover that they cannot stay on the earth's surface due to heat and radiation and live underground. That's not a good place to be. Sighs!

Sania Mirza's wedding with Shoaib Malik seemed to have caught the headlines. While we shouldn't be commenting on somebody's choice of love I do think they hogged a lot of unnecessary media space. All the talk of which country she should be playing for is uncalled for. Thinking outside the realms of nationality she must be termed as an under-achiever. All that promise; looks, combined with a fiery forehand hasn't bought in many trophies, has it? Why don't we look elsewhere? Recently, Saina Nehwal got bracketed amongst the top five badminton women players in the World. That didn't get as much space as the wedding did. Glamour does rule.

Also, the IPL fiasco between Lalit Modi and Shashi Tharoor begs a mention here. After several accusations between them they seem to be getting into trouble with the big bosses. I have a feeling that they are a few skeletons in the closet here. We'll wait and watch for things to unravel.

As I write this piece there have been a couple of explosions at Bangalore just outside the cricket stadium hosting an IPL match. The authorities decide to go through with the match even while it posed a risk to the 40,000 people at the facility to watch the match. A bigger risk though was to the nation itself. Bowing down to such fear would have lent a major success to the perpetrators of this incident. It's an act of courage by the public, authorities and the players to not bow down under such fear. Any of these people were very well within their rights to not proceed. They choose not too and send a strong message to whoever it was. It also proved that our security system is still a little too lapse and gives a few brownie points for a few people making claims that all's not well with the state of security in our country. I am sure they'll make sure this event catches a lot of headlines.

Otherwise, I am headed for a pretty low-key weekend. Little bit of stuff to take care at home after which I am headed straight back to work the day after. I look forward to a lighter week next, and perhaps some more chirps in here. Rock your weekend. Ciao.

No comments: